John 10:1–4 – “Known by Name” – Kerry Kaino
Very truly I tell you Pharisees, anyone who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. (John 10:1-4)
1. Have you ever had a pet that responded to your voice? Why do you think that pet responded?
2. In this illustration of Jesus, what is the response of the sheep to the shepherd? In what ways does this contrast with how the Pharisees understand and respond to Jesus?
3. What have been significant factors in helping you to hear Jesus’ voice and respond?
4. How do you discern Jesus’ voice from all the voices in the world that compete for our attention?
5. How does it make you feel to think of God caring for you as the Good Shepherd?