John 6:25–35 – “Holy Hip Hop” – Kerry Kaino
1. Feeding the 5,000 sets the stage for Jesus’ teaching in which He says, “I am the Bread of Life”. In between these two happenings, John records the account of Jesus walking on the water (6:16-24). What relevance do you think this has to Jesus’ actions and teaching regarding bread?
2. Are there ways in which we in our own lives are sometimes more focused on miraculous signs (6:26, 30) than we are on the Bread of Life? Explain.
3. Upon hearing Jesus talk about the true bread from heaven, the people said, “Sir, from now on give us this bread” (6:32-34). In what ways might the people not have understood the full implications of receiving the Bread of Life? (Cf. 6:60)
4. How does Jesus describe “the bread from heaven”? What does it mean that Jesus is “the bread of life”?
5. So far in John’s Gospel, Jesus has described Himself as the giver of “living water” and that He is “the bread of life”. What do these two metaphors bring to our understanding of Jesus and His meaning for us today?
6. When we are fed by Jesus, full and strengthened … then what?