John 12:12–19 – “180 Swing” – Kerry Kaino
1. In John’s Gospel, what sets the stage for Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem? What caused the people’s interest in Jesus to grow to the point we see it in John 12?
2. What did the crowds proclaim about Jesus by echoing the words of Psalm 118:26?
3. In what ways do the backgrounds of Zechariah 9:9 and Zephaniah 3:16 help us to understand what Jesus was proclaiming with the manner of His entry into Jerusalem? What shift of understanding about the messianic king does Jesus advocate for in these verses?
4. If you had been one of those who had heard about Jesus healing the sick and raising the dead, and you had gone out to meet this man of “great power”, what might you have thought when you found Him riding in on a donkey, the very picture of humility and meekness?
5. What are the implications of these verses and the way John connects Jesus’ actions to Zechariah 9:9 and, especially, to Zephaniah 3:15 (verses 9-19), for people in positions of influence and power?
6. What kind of a king are people drawn to? What kind of a king does Jesus say He is?