Japanese Presbyterian Church of Seattle
Children’s Ministry Director
Introduction: Japanese Presbyterian Church (affectionately known as ‘Presby’) is a lively community with an active multi-generational membership, and an average Sunday attendance of 180. We nurture a vibrant group of 35-40 children (some with special needs) with volunteers of all ages willing to contribute as a team. Our Sunday morning includes two worship services – one in English (9:30), and one in Japanese (11:15) – and a Sunday School hour for children and adults (11:15).
Purpose: To oversee the Children’s Ministry (CM) at Japanese Presbyterian Church (JPC) that draws children to experience and know God in a transformational way.
Accountability: Hired by and reports to the Session (board of elders), and is supervised by the Pastor, Head of Staff.
Bring to life the Mission Statement for CM at JPC by providing vision, leadership and oversight:
- Develop and serve with a CM team of leaders and volunteers, encouraging a teamwork atmosphere
- Recruit, support and train volunteers for Sunday children’s ministries for Nursery-5th grade and special needs (may include worship service children’s message, Sunday School, King’s Kids, Kids for Christ, Friends class, children’s worship), as well as supervise the part-time special needs class teacher
- Oversee the selection of curriculum, resources/supplies
- Shepherd and care for children and their families with the guidance of the Pastor
- Oversee the children’s program during JPC Family Retreats, as needed
- Oversee the development of CM policies and procedures
- Develop the annual CM budget
- Be present on Sunday mornings, normally for at least 45 Sundays per year
Partner and coordinate with other ministry leaders and teams:
- Regular/quarterly check-in with Pastor, Head of Staff
- Offer input for children’s participation in the worship service
- Offer input and contribute to Adult Christian Education in the area of Christian parenting
- Offer input for involvement of children in other Presby ministries
- Work with youth director to transition children into the youth program
- Partner with pastoral and office staff and ministry teams in outreach to the children of the neighborhood (e.g., Neighborhood BBQ, Easter Eggstravaganza, Japanese-language congregation outreaches)
- Participate in ministry planning meetings (weekly staff meetings, quarterly Ministry Roundtable meetings, CM team meetings).
- Work with pastoral and office staff to improve safety procedures along with planning drills, .
- Communicate with pastoral and office staff, ministry team and congregation regarding CM vision, policies, events, etc. This may include: monthly newsletter column, Facebook page, quarterly email updates to parents and teachers, volunteer training meetings, yearly parent meetings, CM Annual Report.
- Partner with pastoral and office staff in envisioning teacher appreciation events
Personal growth and equipping:
- Network with the regional Children’s Ministry community
- Engage in continuing education through conferences, seminars, literature, etc. for leadership development and to keep up-to-date with teaching/music/parent resources
- Engage in opportunities for spiritual/personal care and growth
- Yearly evaluate CM
Other Administrative Duties:
- Management of curriculum and Bible presentations,
- Prepping/distributing attendance sheets, safety packets, and teacher notebooks
- Oversee annual registration for classes and annual background checks of volunteers
- A growing relationship with Christ.
- Children’s Ministry experience
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Ability to work well with staff, families and volunteers within a team model
Position Hours and Benefits
- 25–30 hours/week
- Paid sick leave in accordance with City of Seattle ordinance
- 2 weeks paid vacation
- No medical benefits
To apply, please mail a résumé to:
Children’s Ministry Search
Japanese Presbyterian Church
1801 24th Ave South
Seattle, WA 98144
You may also apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information or questions:
Phone – 206-323-5990
Website – jpresby.org
Deadline: October 31, 2019